Thank you for your interest in the role of Chief Executive. With the current Chief Executive, Colin Brown, retiring this is an exciting opportunity to lead an organisation of regional, national and international significance through the next phase of its development.
About The Deep
The Deep is the most commercially successful of all the Millennium landmark projects. Designed by Sir Terry Farrell, The Deep visitor attraction opened in 2002 and has to date welcomed over 6,000,000 visitors becoming an icon of success and triggering a renaissance in its home City of Hull. The facility also includes a successful business centre catering to knowledge-based industries.
Powered by this commercial success, The Deep has established itself as a respected educational and environmental charity and a genuine force in marine conservation. It has chaired and hosted the Net Gain project which established a network of Marine Conservation Zones along the East Coast and continues to work on projects from Coral propagation to Shark and Ray conservation in the Sudan, alongside Equipe Cousteau. A new and unique partnership with the IUCN. Red List has also recently been pioneered.
A member of BIAZA, EAZA and the Eco Attractions Group, The Deep represents a new sustainable relationship between Hull and the oceans.
The Chief Executive will provide effective and inspirational leadership to the visitor attraction, the business centre and to the charity their income supports. They will provide proposals for The Deep`s longer term plans and strategies as well as providing leadership to the senior management team. They will inspire, motivate and engage the “Crew” of the Deep and develop constructive relationships with other stakeholders notably Kingston upon Hull`s City Council, the University of Hull, our staff and the wider city. They will attend a monthly Trustees’ meeting and work closely with the Chair and individual Trustees as required.
The role requires someone with both well rounded operational management skills and the ability to take a strategic lead. It requires excellent people skills, an entrepreneurial spirit and an understanding of how this needs to be tempered in a charitable setting.
They will be able to communicate effectively with a wide range of customers, staff and stakeholders articulating a clear and compelling vision for this unique organisation.
They will share our commitment to excellence and to our charitable aims.
Background information about The Deep including its charitable aims, history, conservation work, mantra, products and services can all be found on the website here. To download The Deep’s organogram click here. Find out more information on working in Hull here.
The Deep is a successful visitor attraction, Business Centre and an increasingly well respected marine charity. It operates retail, catering, restaurant, education and corporate hospitality businesses and receives no revenue support from the public purse.
Simply put then, the task of the Chief Executive is to balance the need to continue to generate surpluses with The Deep’s other charitable and social agendas, and in doing so to create a world class attraction, a respected charity and an icon of excellence in Hull, UK City of Culture 2017.
The Chair, Directors/Trustees of EMIH Ltd (Charity no. 1073254), and the Directors of Running Deep Ltd
This role is full time and permanent, commanding a salary circa £100,000 and a generous benefits package:
- Competitive salary
- 30 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Generous Pension Scheme
- Interest free car loan
- On-site parking
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
- To be a figurehead for The Deep, embodying its culture and ethos.
- To provide inspirational, dynamic and effective leadership for The Deep, to continue to affirm, develop and deliver The Deep as a world class aquarium, visitor attraction and leading environmental charity.
- To provide executive management of The Deep’s business and financial results, through proposal and reporting of short-term business plans and longer term strategic direction and policies to the Board.
- To implement any resulting approved plans and strategies through the sound leadership of a cohesive Senior Management Team, to ensure that the strategic and operational objectives set by the Board are delivered to an excellent standard within available resources.
- To take overall responsibility for the effective and efficient day-to-day business operations.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- To provide leadership and inspiration to the organisation; to develop and achieve its vision and strategy, to firmly establish The Deep as a world-renowned attraction and charity.
- To provide proposals for longer term strategic plans to the Board, to build on existing successes, create new opportunities, or adapt to change, and lead on subsequent implementation. Including attraction content development and maintenance.
- To provide management and direction to the Senior Management Team and The Deep’s 160 Crew members, to inspire, engage and motivate, to galvanise delivery of company aims through a supportive leadership culture of inclusion, development, coaching and mentoring.
- To prepare and propose to the Board an annual business plan (including capital expenditure), along with financial and non-financial targets, recommendations on pay changes and pricing structures.
- To take responsibility for the effective delivery of the annual business plan. Delivery of excellence in all aspects of The Deep’s attraction, business centre, products, services and profile, through a programme of continuous improvement, including acting as gatekeeper of The Deep’s brand.
- To develop effective and constructive relationships through representation of The Deep to a wide range of external stakeholders to ensure the organisation achieves its full potential. These stakeholders include, for example:
- Kingston upon Hull City Council; Councillors, Officers, and Committees
- University of Hull
- Business Community, including Deep Business Centre tenants
- BIAZA (British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums)
- EAZA (European Association of Zoos and Aquariums)
- WAZA (World Association of Zoos and Aquariums)
- IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature)
- Eco Attractions Group
- Hull 2017
- Visit Hull & East Yorkshire / Welcome to Yorkshire
The Chief Executive combines the roles of organisational figurehead, strategic planner and operational manager. The role requires the ability to balance the needs of both the charity and the trading arm on which it largely depends for its income. As such, experience in or of a charity or not for profit organisation would be advantageous.
Ideally, but not necessarily, from an aquarium, Zoo, or other visitor attraction or tourism background the role calls for a confident and experienced leader of both people and projects.
Essential Skills and Attributes
- An effective leader, with a natural rapport and ability to engage and interact at all levels, commanding confidence and credibility with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Strong people skills and project management track record, with the ability to secure team commitment and engagement.
- Relevant experience of Board level operation and communication.
- First class communicator and presenter; a highly visible leader both internally and externally.
- Proven commitment and understanding of customer service.
- Excellent financial acumen and negotiating skills.
- Senior level management experience within both business-to-business and business-to-consumer fields, within a similarly structured and complex organisation.
- Knowledge of the leisure and tourism industry.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, relevant, professional level qualification.
- Track record of continuous professional development.
- Creative and innovative.
- Ability to develop, propose and implement strategic plans, leading initiatives through to successful conclusion within budget.
- Clear decision making ability and ability to manage risk.
- Exposure to dealing with the public, businesses, national bodies and VIPs.
- A belief system which is compatible with The Deep’s charitable aims, mantra, vision and values.
Desirable Skills and Attributes
- Senior level management experience within a directly comparable facility (in size and nature) such as aquarium, zoo or other visitor attraction.
- Educated to higher degree level or equivalent, relevant, professional level qualification.
- Management and leadership training and development undertaken.
- Experience of fundraising issues within the industry sector.
- Experienced and effective networker within the industry sector.
- Experience of managing change.
- Proven understanding of what constitutes well-designed and delivered exhibits, attractions, leisure & tourism products and services.
- Senior level management experience within a public facing leisure & tourism facility.
Please download or complete and submit the on-line application form below.
For an informal conversation before submitting your application, please contact Colin Brown, Chief Executive, 01482 381001.
Please note that the closing date for all applications is 5pm on Monday 6 February 2017. Should you require a paper copy of the application form please contact Clair Rush, 01482 381020 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Paper copies should be returned to Clair Rush, Office Administrator, The Deep, Hull, HU1 4DP and must also be received by 5pm on Monday 6 February 2017.