The role of the Food & Beverage Manager is to provide a high quality, profitable and efficient F&B operation at The Deep Visitor Attraction and Business Centre to daytime, evening and corporate customers, whilst adhering the company’s ethical and sustainable purchasing policies. The skills to source suppliers, understand food and beverage trends and customer needs, build relationships, motivate staff and negotiate effectively are key. An average of 39 hours per week with hours and days worked to meet the needs of this diverse department. Will include some evenings, weekends and bank holidays. Rate of pay £30,000 per annum.
FOOD & BEVERAGE ACTIVITES AT THE DEEP CURRENTLY INCLUDE:
- Castaways Café (3rd and 4th floor Visitor Attraction café, open every day)
- Two Rivers (restaurant opening for evening dining within the tankside areas of the Visitor Attraction)
- Events (bespoke events, both evening and daytime, including weddings, corporate dinners, private parties and business lunches for Business Centre clients).
- Halfway Café (1st floor Visitor Attraction café, open peak periods, services school group picnics off peak)
- Picnic Place (1st floor Visitor Attraction, open peak periods as a snack bar, otherwise available as a picnic area)
The number of Crew working within this department is c50, a mix of full-time and part-time, working across all related disciplines, within both the daytime and evening functions. Department and company structure chart can be downloaded here.
Please note that a satisfactory DBS check would be required for this postholder.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of The Deep’s Food & Beverage service.
- Management of the restaurant and catering team, including management of on-budget rotas, staff planning, recruitment, training, development, motivation, monitoring and performance management.
- Ensure stringent food hygiene practices and compliance with food safety and all other relevant legislation, maintaining The Deep’s 5* (Very Good) Food Hygiene Rating.
- Responsible for achieving the required quality, Spend per Head and profit levels within all Food & Beverage activities at The Deep, working with the Catering Supervisor, Restaurant & Events Supervisor and Head Chef, along with other team members, as necessary.
- Develop process and service improvements, for example customer flow, through café refit or reconfiguration.
- Develop product range, supporting consumables, practices and services to meet customer demand and to do so in line with The Deep’s brand, exhibits, ethos and its ethical and sustainable purchasing policy.
- Ensure a high quality of customer service and experience within all F&B activities at The Deep.
- Explore additional opportunities for income growth and generation through additional food and beverage streams, for example new events and products for a wider variety of audiences.
- Monitor, consider and interpret food and beverage trends in-store and within the industry to facilitate menu planning, improvements, budgeting and forecasting.
- Develop relationships with suppliers including the management of procurement, including negotiation of terms for delivery and pricing.
- Liaise with The Deep’s Marketing Department to promote the retail product and activities.
- Manage stock levels effectively overseeing both pricing and control of stock.
- Ensure that all cash handling, banking, supplier payment and other financial control systems are operating efficiently and comply with The Deep’s financial and accounting procedures.
- Utilise and manage Total Control stock management system (or any other stock/EPoS system in place).
- Ensure optimum stock levels are maintained for business needs, organise and control cyclic counting of stock and year-end stock counts, investigate, resolve and report on best practice.
- Manage Health & Safety within all areas of the department.
- Liaison with the Business Centre & Corporate Manager to plan and review events.
- Be a responsible and effective Personal Licence holder for The Deep.
- Act as Duty Manager for Food & Beverage activities and events when necessary.
- Responsible for specifying, sourcing and negotiating correct equipment and associated maintenance contracts, within budget.
- These tasks are indicative of the role and are not exhaustive.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: ESSENTIAL
- Substantial relevant F&B management experience, ideally working within a similar environment, with a variety of F&B offers to various consumer audiences.
- Good understanding of the ethical, environmental and sustainability issues faced by the F&B industry.
- Strong and proven staff management experience and leadership qualities ideally within a changeable, seasonable environment.
- Financially aware and numerate.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service, with fantastic interpersonal skills, showing an understanding of customers’ needs both in person, on the telephone and in writing.
- Enthusiasm for The Deep, the F&B industry and tourism.
- Proven management responsibility for food hygiene and legislative compliance through such as Safer Food, Better Business.
- Working knowledge of the responsibilities of a Personal Licence holder.
- Excellent personal presentation, smart appearance, polite and courteous.
- Ability to build relationships with suppliers, with strong negotiation skills.
- Experience of monitoring and measuring results against targets.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Thorough working knowledge of Total Control, or equivalent EPoS system
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience and knowledge of Health & Safety management including risk assessments and safe systems of work.
- Self-motivated and able to inspire, motivate and encourage continuous improvement in others.Proactive in tackling issues.
- Evidence of leading a culture of new opportunities and innovation, teamwork, professionalism and service.
- Recognised relevant qualifications, for example in catering/general management, safety related and/or purchasing skills.
- Track record of continuing professional development and a culture of encouraging development and progression of others.
- Reliable, with a responsible attitude towards work.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: DESIRABLE
- Experience of leading environmental, sustainability or ethical improvements within a Food & Beverage department.
- Current Personal Licence holder.
- Membership of a relevant industry body, for example Institute of Hospitality, Chartered Management Institute
TO APPLY: Please complete an application form on-line.
Contact for enquiries: Louise Kirby, Director of Operations & People, The Deep, Hull, HU1 4DP (email@example.com), 01482 381004. Applications must be received by 9am on Monday 25 June 2018. Interviews are likely to be held w/c 2nd July 2018.
PLEASE NOTE WHICH EMAIL ADDRESS YOU HAVE STATED ON YOUR APPLICATION AND CHECK THIS EMAIL IN-BOX REGULARLY FOR NEWS OF YOUR APPLICATION’S PROGRESS.