The role of the guiding department is to creatively interpret the aquarium exhibits, deliver a programme of events and offer fantastic customer service to The Deep’s visitors. The guides inspire an understanding of the sea that promotes conservation action and an understanding of the beauty and wonder of the marine world as well as helping to create a great day out for all.
REPORTS TO: GUIDE MANAGER
RATE OF PAY: £8.99/HR RISING TO £9.12/HR ON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF TRAINING PERIOD
The Deep is delighted to be offering 8 Permanent Contracts within the guiding department.
For all of these contracts the normal hours of work each day will vary, but normally fall between 9.30am and 6.15pm. Additional hours, including evenings, may be available paid at your normal hourly rate. Please state clearly within the Personal Statement section of your application which contract(s) you are interested in applying for.
Please click on the table below to view the contracts available.
- Crew key points within the visitor attraction to monitor and control visitor flow and provide excellent customer service (for example at ‘pinch points’ like the entrance turnstile, scenic lift and popular tank vantage areas).
- Pro-active engagement, discussion and interaction with The Deep’s visitors, ensuring their enjoyment of their visit (and scientific understanding) through excellent customer service and interpretation of the exhibits.
- Carry out microphone presentations and talks throughout The Deep, interacting safely, entertainingly and informatively with the visitors.
- Lead occasional guided tours of the attraction and/or behind-the-scenes for groups/special bookings, to bring added value to visits.
- Participate in special events, demonstrations and activities for example sleepovers, classroom or activity days for groups, face-painting, art/crafts/scrap store activities, pantomimes, science experiment demos, wildlife walks and birthday parties.
- In conjunction with the Guide Manager and/or Duty Manager deal with day-to-day health & safety checks, issues, security and housekeeping in the attraction.
- ‘Queuebust’ – interact with waiting visitors, inform them of queue times, local attractions, Deep information, ticketing and customer service issues, ensuring safe and effective use of crowd control mechanisms both inside and outside the attraction, maintaining visitor flow.
- Assist visitors to comply with COVID-19 security procedures; ensure adherence to protocols in place, carry out frequent cleaning and encourage good hygiene, to help everyone to have a safe and enjoyable visit to The Deep.
- ‘Perform’ as one of The Deep’s mascots, in costume, to distribute information, pose for photographs and entertain the crowds.
- Accompany The Deep mascot to help them with the above and to ensure their safety and welfare.
- Car Park control, to ensure effective flow of traffic, security and operation of ‘Pay & Display’ system, to assist with traffic direction, customer service and litter picking.
- Provide cover for other staff areas within The Deep, for example retail, ticketing and café. These duties may include (but are not limited to) customer service, housekeeping, the operation of tills and ticketing machines, cleaning, cash handling and catering support.
- Fire marshall and key handling duties.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: ESSENTIAL
- Ability to interact effectively with visitors, suppliers and colleagues throughout the organisation.
- Ability to carry out entertaining and informative talks and presentations to members of the public, including children-only groups.
- Reliable, with a responsible attitude towards work.
- Interest in meeting and working with a high volume of visitors, whilst maintaining enthusiasm.
- Ability to handle (sometimes challenging) customer queries or complaints effectively.
- Enthusiasm for The Deep as a major visitor attraction and for providing a first class service within the leisure and tourism industry.
- Proven team-working abilities.
- Motivated and able to work on own initiative with minimum supervision.
- Demonstrate excellence in customer care and an understanding of the needs of the customers.
- Excellent personal presentation and ability to build a rapport both one-to-one and with an audience.
- Willingness to learn about aquarium exhibits and interpretation techniques and ability to retain and recall high volume of facts.
- Flexibility with regard to hours of work in response to customer demand.
- The ability to manual handle safely (with correct guidance and equipment).
- Awareness of Health & Safety.
- Please note that successful applicants will be subject to a DBS check. Details of The Deep’s DBS policy are available upon request.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: DESIRABLE
- Knowledge of marine life, science, geology, environmental issues.
- Microphone and public performance experience.
- Performing arts experience
- Experience of guide work within a tourist attraction.
- Experience of dealing effectively with Health & Safety issues, including risk assessments.
- Appreciation of the tourism industry and the needs of visitors/tourists.
- Other communication skills, such as sign language or a foreign language.
- Experience of cash handling and till operation.
Complete an application below. Applications must be received by 9am 27 September 2021. Please show your preferred contract clearly in your Personal Statement and indicate your general availability to work. First interviews are likely to be held on Zoom shortly after the closing date, with second interviews (which will include an applicant presentation) w/c 11 October 2021. PLEASE NOTE WHICH EMAIL ADDRESS YOU HAVE STATED ON YOUR APPLICATION AND CHECK THIS EMAIL IN-BOX REGULARLY FOR NEWS OF YOUR APPLICATION’S PROGRESS.