The Deep’s Food & Beverage Crew covers the Observatory Café, Snack bar, Halfway Café as well as providing buffets and catering for outside clients at business meetings across the site.
The Deep also offers evening events such as corporate hospitality, weddings, private parties and exclusive dining.
As well as preparation and delivery of food service, Chefs/Cooks are also involved in working with the Food & Beverage Manager to assist with menu development and food preparation for the existing outlets, as well as supporting the growth of The Deep’s Food & Beverage provision and products.
REPORTS TO: Food & beverage Manager/Asst F&B Manager
RATE OF PAY: £11.36 per hour
CONTRACT: Minimum of 30 hours per week, on a rota basis normally 4/5 days per week, to include at least two weekends in four. Normal hours of work 7.30am to 3.30pm. Additional hours may be available, including occasional evening shifts, paid at the normal hourly rate.
As The Deep is open 7 days a week, mid-week, weekend and bank holidays need to be covered by the kitchen Crew. Please note that this is a permanent role.
- Prepare a selection of meals to a high standard, keeping up with new ideas and trends, working within the allocated budget and minimising waste, for all areas of The Deep’s Food & Beverage provision.
- Adhere to existing procedures for preparation of dishes, allergen recording and Safer Food Better Business to ensure a consistent approach and product.
- Maintain food standards, complete all due diligence checks and paperwork. Work within the Safer Food Better Business framework to maintain a 5 star rated outlet.
- Lead by example to other kitchen members, to support the Food & Beverage management team with supervision and training of Crew and with the implementation of new initiatives and procedures.
- Take senior kitchen responsibility to ensure continuity of planning, preparation, service and delivery.
- Assist proactively with the development of menu plans and food presentation, be on trend and work to develop new menus and food options across all aspects of The Deep’s Food & Beverage provision.
- Liaise with the Food & Beverage management team to help produce new products for the evening economy, day time business buffets and corporate hospitality.
- Maintain a high standard of hygiene and adhere to all Environmental Health and Health & Safety requirements as legislated and as required to maintain the highest level of environmental health ratings.
- Assist in developing the overall efficiency and profitability of all products provided within the Food and Beverage outlets.
- Basic administrative duties and Safer Food Better Business paperwork where necessary.
- Carry out cleaning tasks and follow cleaning procedures and rotas to ensure that all equipment is cleaned throughout (and at the end of) service.
- Report any faulty equipment promptly to the food and beverage management team.
- Work closely with department heads across The Deep and Duty Managers to ensure the smooth running of the Food & Beverage facility.
- Carry out any other duties as may be required from the Food & Beverage Manager, Assistant F&B Manager, Head of Business & Corporate, Director of Operations & People, Chief Executive, or their nominated representative.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: ESSENTIAL
- Relevant, substantial, cooking experience within large scale commercial kitchens.
- L2 Food Hygiene Certificate (or equivalent) with an excellent working knowledge of hygiene procedures.
- Relevant, related, professional qualification such as NVQ 3/BTEC National Certificate in Hospitality Supervision and Leadership, Professional Cookery Diploma or equivalent.
- Good working knowledge and experience of Safer Food Better Business procedure.
- Ability to work efficiently within a high volume kitchen environment.
- Enthusiasm for The Deep, its ethos, products and services.
- Passionate about cooking, and food.
- Enthusiasm for working within the food & beverage industry.
- Capable of making good working relationships with a large team.
- Resourceful, understanding the need to minimise waste and maximise profit.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellence in customer care and an understanding of the needs of the customers and the Food & Beverage team. Ability to empathise and maintain professionalism whilst displaying patience and politeness within a sometimes pressurised environment.
- Flexibility with regard to hours of work in response to customer demand.
- Ability to multi-task and deliver more than one product.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: DESIRABLE
- Creative, with an awareness of food trends.
- Food Allergen L2 Certificate, or equivalent.
- Understanding of ethical and sustainable food purchasing.
- Numeracy skills, with ability to work out menu costings.
- Excellent decision making skills.
- Proven experience of supervising others.
- Computer literate.
Complete an application form below. Applications must be received by 9am Wednesday 9 February 2022. Interviews will be held shortly thereafter, with a start date as soon as possible. Please note which email address you have stated on your application and check this email in-box regularly for news of your application’s progress.