The Deep’s education department welcomes over 33,000 students each year. We are looking for someone to welcome our visiting school and college groups and help move them around the building to ensure they have a quality experience.
HOURS OF WORK
The contract is term time only:
- Autumn and spring term: 9.30am-2.30pm two mid-week days per week on a rota basis.
- Summer term: 9.30am-2.30pm five days a week, Monday-Friday.
Accrued holidays (five weeks plus bank holidays pro rata) to be taken during school holiday periods. Rate of pay: £7.33 per hour.
- Welcome school groups as they arrive at The Deep.
- Ensure lead teachers check in and pay at reception.
- Liaison with coach drivers and co-ordinate vehicle movements as appropriate.
- Co-ordinate the movement of lunch baskets so they are available to schools at the appropriate time and place.
- Provide tea and coffee to all accompanying teachers and adults whilst they are eating their packed lunches. This includes sweeping the floor and wiping down tables at the end of each day.
- Ensure the picnic spaces in 3 locations are ready for the groups at the start of the day including putting out tables & chairs, using appropriate lifting & handling equipment where needed.
- On occasions to help the in-house teachers preparing curriculum material and props.
- Assist the in-house teachers to prepare the classrooms at the start of the day, in-between groups and at the end of the day.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: ESSENTIAL
- Ability to interact effectively with visitors and colleagues throughout the organisation.
- Reliable, with a responsible attitude towards work.
- Interest in meeting and working with a high volume of visitors, whilst maintaining enthusiasm.
- Ability to handle customer queries or complaints effectively.
- Enthusiasm for The Deep as a major visitor attraction and for providing a first class service within the leisure and tourism industry.
- Proven team-working abilities.
- Ability to read and understand written schedules and plans.
- Practical and methodical approach to tasks.
- Motivated and able to work on own initiative with minimum supervision.
- Demonstrate excellence in customer care and an understanding of the needs of the customers.
- Flexibility with regard to hours of work in response to customer demand.
- The ability to manual handle safely (with correct guidance and equipment).
- Awareness of Health & Safety.
- DBS clearance will be sought before the successful candidate can begin work.
- As the role involves some lifting and handling of furniture and heavy baskets, candidates need to be physically fit.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: DESIRABLE
- Experience in a school, museum, exhibition or other establishment with similar customer demands.
- Experience working with primary aged children, on a paid or volunteer basis.
TO APPLY: Please complete an application form on-line at www.thedeep.co.uk. Contact for enquiries: Louise Kirby, The Deep, Hull, HU1 4DP (firstname.lastname@example.org), 01482 381004. Applications must be received by 9am on Monday 8 February 2016. Interviews are likely to be held on the Thursday 11 and Friday 12 February 2016.Experience working with primary aged children, on a paid or volunteer basis.