The Second Chef works closely with the Head Chef to develop the restaurant offer, and will support and cover the Head Chef as and when necessary. This is an excellent opportunity for a Chef who wants to invest their skills in a high profile venture and make their mark, whilst benefiting from working within The Deep’s existing stable operation and with a supportive management team. The Second Chef also works closely with the Food & Beverage Manager to assist with menu development and food preparation for the all outlets and developing menus to support The Deep’s food and beverage provision across daytime café options as well as Two Rivers Restaurant and corporate events.
Rate of pay - £10.66 per hour, average minimum number of hours 30 hours per week, to normally include, Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, plus remaining hours on a rota basis across the other days/nights as required for preparation and delivery. By working at The Deep you can benefit from 25 days holidays, plus bank holidays pro rata per annum, membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme, friends & family attraction ticket allowance, parking pass, discounts on food and retail products, plus a number of health and wellbeing initiatives.
The Deep’s Two Rivers Restaurant opens most Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights offering a unique ‘dining with sharks’ experience. The venue also hosts a variety of corporate hospitality functions including business events, weddings and Christmas parties on these, and other, days. See www.thedeep.co.uk/two-rivers-restaurant and www.thedeep.co.uk/corporate-private-hire for more information. Having been open since 2005 the Two Rivers Restaurant has built up strong reputation as a pop up, special occasion restaurant.
- Prepare a selection of meals to a high standard, whilst keeping up with new ideas and trends, working within the allocated budget and minimising waste, for all areas of The Deep’s catering facilities.
- Cater for the Two Rivers Restaurant and its hospitality packages.
- Liaise with the front of house team and the Head of Business & Corporate to plan and achieve smooth running of restaurant and corporate products.
- Assist proactively with the development of menu plans and food presentation. Be on trend and work to develop new menus and food options across all aspects of The Deep’s Food and Beverage provision
- Maintain food standards, complete all due diligence checks and paperwork, and work within the Safer Food Better Business framework to maintain a 5 star rated outlet.
- Maintain a high standard of hygiene and adhere to all Environmental Health and Health & Safety requirements as legislated and as required to maintain the highest level of environmental health ratings and a safe working environment.
- Lead by example to other kitchen members, supporting the Head Chef with supervision and training of staff where necessary.
- To provide rota cover for the Head Chef, taking senior kitchen responsibility in their absence to ensure continuity of planning, preparation, service and delivery.
- Assist in developing the overall efficiency and profitability of the Two Rivers product.
- Assist Head Chef with associated administrative duties where necessary.
- Ensure correct stock rotation and help with the day-to-day ordering and stock taking as required.
- To ensure that all equipment is cleaned throughout the period and at the end of service, to perform cleaning tasks as per the cleaning rotas
- To report any faulty equipment promptly and appropriately.
- To work closely with department heads across The Deep and Duty Managers to ensure the smooth running of the restaurant/corporate/catering facility.
- Any other duties as reasonably requested.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: ESSENTIAL
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for The Deep, its ethos, products and services.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for working within the food and beverage industry.
- Ability to work under pressure within a kitchen environment.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Capable of making good working relationships with a large team.
- Passionate about cooking, and food.
- Reliable, with a responsible attitude towards work, well organised, punctual and of smart appearance.
- Excellent communication skills
- Food Hygiene Certificate, with an excellent working knowledge of hygiene procedures.
- Good working knowledge and experience of Safer Food Better Business procedure.
- Relevant, substantial, experience within large scale commercial kitchens.
- Relevant, related, professional qualification such as NVQ 3/BTEC National Certificate in Hospitality Supervision and Leadership, Professional Cookery Diploma or equivalent.
- Demonstrate excellence in customer care and an understanding of the needs of the customers and the F&B team, with the ability to empathise and maintain professionalism whilst displaying patience and politeness within a sometimes pressurised environment.
- Flexibility with regard to hours of work in response to customer demand.
- Ability to multi-task and deliver more than one product.
- Knowledgeable about allergens and allergen labelling requirements.
- Good numeracy skills.
- Computer literate.
- Creative, with an awareness of food trends.
- Understanding of ethical and sustainable food purchasing.
- Excellent decision making skills.
- Food Allergen Certificate, or equivalent.
- Proven experience of staff supervision.
Download and complete the application form. For queries please contact: Louise Kirby at email@example.com, 01482 381004. Interviews are likely to be held on 12th or 13th August 2019, with second interview including cook-off and a paid trial shift for the preferred candidate(s) likely to be w/c 19th August 2019. Deadline for receipt of completed application forms: 9am, Wednesday 7th August 2019.
PLEASE NOTE WHICH EMAIL ADDRESS YOU HAVE STATED ON YOUR APPLICATION AND CHECK THIS EMAIL IN-BOX REGULARLY FOR NEWS OF YOUR APPLICATION’S PROGRESS.