The Aquarist is an integral part of the Husbandry team, reporting to the assistant Curator.
This post is a fixed term contract to cover maternity leave and will terminate in 31 March 2019. The salary is £18,135 per annum. The hours of work are 39 per week over 5 days, working one in three weekends on a rota basis. Some out of hours and bank holiday work can also be expected due to the nature of the job. Other benefits include 25 days holiday per annum, plus bank holidays and pension scheme.
PLEASE NOTE: We are experiencing some difficulties when with hotmail, outlook and live email accounts. If possible please use an alternative and check your spam/junk folders.
The main duties involved are participation in the routine preparation of feeds, feeding and maintenance of the displays and quarantine including system water quality. This will involve working with other team members to maintain the exhibits, livestock and Life Support Systems.
- Maintenance of livestock, life support systems and exhibits to an exemplary standard that fulfils zoo licensing and curatorial standards.
- Work within The Deep’s invertebrate section caring for a variety of terrestrial and aquatic invertebrates.
- Adherence to company policies with regards to record keeping, water testing, animal health monitoring and safe working practices.
- Assist in the positive promotion of the image of The Deep at all times.
- Ensure that the company’s policy on Health and Safety is adhered to during your work activities.
- Comply with the staffing rota as set out by Senior Staff.
- Aid the senior Husbandry staff in developing any new exhibition areas/revised displays.
- Participate in staff training and assessment.
- Aid the Husbandry department to achieve the target of maintaining the fabric of The Deep to a standard acceptable to the Chief Executive.
- Co-operate fully with the entire staff of The Deep with the aim of making The Deep a truly world class Visitor Attraction.
- The successful applicant shall also be required to undertake any general duties as determined by their line manager.
- A reasonable amount of physical work will be involved in carrying out your duties.
- You are expected to participate in all training provided by The Deep.
- Due to the nature of the business the successful applicant will be required to work some weekends and evenings.
- Experience and desire to work with terrestrial and aquatic invertebrates.
- Ability to work flexibly across a wide range of tasks, taking direction in order to learn.
- Commitment to The Deep, and its environmental and ethical policies
- Enthusiasm and commitment to working in animal care.
- Self-motivation and a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Excellent team-working skills and good verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Reliability (exemplary time-keeping and attendance).
- Qualification in biology, marine biology, zoology and/or general science at college or university level or equivalent experience.
- A willingness to learn and a commitment to self-improvement.
- A knowledge of terrestrial invertebrate husbandry is advantageous.
- Good practical ability with items such as pumps and filters.
- Good problem solving skills
- Knowledge of amphibian and reptile species and their husbandry.
Download and complete an application form from www.thedeep.co.uk or collect a paper application form from The Deep visitor attraction reception or retail desk between 10am and 5pm each day. For queries please contact: Louise Kirby at email@example.com, 01482 381004. Deadline for receipt of completed application is 9am, Monday 19 February 2018. Interviews are likely to be held week commencing 26 February 2018, and the start date for the job is intended to be shortly after this.