The role of the guiding department is to inspire an understanding of the sea that promotes conservation action and an understanding of the beauty and wonder of the marine world. The guides strive to achieve this through creatively interpreting the permanent exhibits and delivering a programme of innovative events. The support staff supplement this department to deliver this programme, which includes fun family activities including (for example) penguin mascot walkarounds.
All posts are temporary contracts in the first instance until 6 January 2019. Rate of pay - £8.06 per hour.
Four contracts are available for shifts as per the rota below, to cover weekends then the school holiday period, from 8 December 2018. Shifts will be issued on a rota basis and may fall on any day of the week, including weekends and bank holidays.
Please see the rota below. You must be able to work the shifts listed to apply.
- ‘Queuebust’ – interact with waiting visitors, informing them of queue times, local attractions, Deep information, ticketing and customer service issues, ensuring safe and effective use of crowd control mechanisms both inside and outside the attraction, maintaining visitor flow.
- Staff key points within the visitor attraction to monitor and control visitor flow (for example at ‘pinch points’ like the entrance turnstile, scenic lift and popular tank vantage areas).
- In conjunction with the Guide Manager and/or Duty Manager deal with day-to-day health & safety checks, issues and housekeeping in the attraction.
- Assist car park staff with traffic direction, customer service and litter picking.
- ‘Perform’ around the site and attraction as one of The Deep’s mascots, in costume, to distribute information, pose for photographs and entertain the crowds.
- Accompany The Deep mascot to help them with the above and to ensure their safety and welfare.
- Answer visitors’ questions about The Deep.
- Support guiding activities as required. This will include, for example, setting up and running of art & craft activities, plus other activities such as face painting and other customer interaction.
- Assist other departments with customer service and housekeeping duties, as required, for example catering, retail and reception.
- Fire marshal duties.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: ESSENTIAL
- Ability to handle customer queries or complaints effectively.
- Demonstrate excellence in customer care and an understanding of the needs of the customers.
- Ability to interact effectively with visitors, suppliers and colleagues throughout the organisation.
- Excellent knowledge of Hull and local points of interest for tourist information.
- Reliable, with a responsible attitude towards work.
- Interest in meeting and working with a high volume of visitors, whilst maintaining stamina, enthusiasm and energy.
- Enthusiasm for The Deep as a major visitor attraction and for providing a first class service.
- Proven teamworking abilities.
- Motivated and able to work on own initiative with minimum supervision.
- Flexibility with regard to hours of work in response to customer demand.
- The ability to manual handle safely (with correct guidance and equipment).
- Excellent availability to work during the busy summer holiday period.
- Awareness of Health & Safety.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: DESIRABLE
- Other communication skills, such as sign language or a foreign language.
- Experience of guide work within a tourist attraction.
- Experience of dealing effectively with Health & Safety issues.
- Appreciation of the tourism industry and the needs of visitors/tourists.
Please complete the application form by clicking on the 'apply now' button. Applications must be received by 9am, Monday 3rd December 2018. Interviews will be arranged for Tuesday 4th December or Wednesday 5th December, with successful candidates being inducted shortly thereafter for the first shift on 8 December 2018. Please confirm your availability to work the shifts on this rota within your Personal Statement.
PLEASE NOTE WHICH EMAIL ADDRESS YOU HAVE STATED ON YOUR APPLICATION AND CHECK THIS EMAIL IN-BOX REGULARLY FOR NEWS OF YOUR APPLICATION’S PROGRESS.