Welcome to The Deep, the 2017 venue for the BIAZA AGM and Annual Conference.
Taking place on Tuesday 16, Wednesday 17 and Thursday 18 May, this event will focus on a theme of 'Cultured Thinking: Placing Zoos and Aquariums within the Cultural Landscape of Britain and Ireland'.
During the year in which Hull, a city coming out of the shadows, has been designated the City of Culture, BIAZA will take pause to look at how our zoos and aquariums fit into the culture of the United Kingdom and Ireland. You can see the current agenda here (correct as of March 2017).
|Two day conference plus gala dinner||£315|
|Two day conference without gala dinner||£285|
|Wednesday conference only||£155|
|Thursday conference only||£150|
|Gala dinner only||£65|
KEY NOTE SPEAKERS
This year will feature three inspiring keynote speakers:
Talita Jenman, BIAZA Guest Speaker
Talita has worked in the arts for over 15 years. She has just completed an MA in Art and Visual Culture at The University of Westminster where she specialised in the representation of non-human animals. She previously ran the Arts & Culture programme at ZSL London Zoo including the 'Authors for Animals' programme and 'The Saturday Sketch' where she developed a passion for exploring human and animal interrelationships in art and culture.
She lectures at the National Gallery on animal representations in their collection and on digital culture. She recently wrote her dissertation on animals and their representation on social media entitled 'From Cute To Canonised, An Exploration Of The Memetic Animal Online'. When not pursing academic work, Talita works with rock’n'roll band Rival Sons.
Dr. John Knight, Queen’s University, Belfast
Dr. John Knight completed his doctorate at the London School of Economics on the topic of depopoulation and social change in Japanese mountain villages. Before coming to Queen’s he held posts of Junior Research Fellow in Modern Japanese Studies at Wadham College Oxford (1992 – 1995) and then Research Fellow at the International Institute for Asian Studies, University of Leiden (1996 – 1999).
John Knight has undertaken extensive field research in rural Japan on a range of topics, including migration, forestry, farming and tourism, on which he has published widely. His man area of research is human-animal relations, including sportive hunting, wildlife pests and the use of animals in tourism. His most recent field research has been on Japanese monkey parks as sites of primatology and tourism.
Fiona Dear, The Climate Coalition
Fiona Dear is Campaign Manager at The Climate Coalition, responsible for running the coalition and overseeing campaigns. Fiona has worked with the climate coalition (previously known as Stop Climate Chaos). This has included helping to mobilise 50,000 people ahead of the Copenhagen climate talks in 2009 and overseeing four constituency climate lobbies with a minimal secretariat between 2010 and 2012. More recently she has helped develop the current public and political engagement campaign showing the love that are affected by climate change.
Previously Fiona worked in wildlife conservation and outreach to Latin American countries for climate campaign.
There are a number of preferential deals available to delegates. They can be booked as follows:
- Premier Inn Hull City Centre - £105 per room, per night. Please email us to book these rooms - there is limited availability here and rooms will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.
- Holiday Inn Hull Marina - £129 per room, per night. Please book these rooms through the Visit Hull and East Yorkshire portal below.
- Ibis Hotel - £75 per room, per night. Please book these rooms through the Visit Hull and East Yorkshire portal below.
- Mercure Royal Hotel - £85 per room (single occupancy), £95 per double room (twin occupancy) per night. Please book these rooms through the Visit Hull and East Yorkshire portal below.
- Express by Holiday Inn - £77 per room, per night. Please book these rooms through the Visit Hull and East Yorkshire portal below.
- Kingston Theatre Hotel - £65 per double room (single occupancy), £85 per double room (twin occupancy), £120 per executive king room per night. Please book these rooms through the Visit Hull and East Yorkshire portal below.
CORPORATE SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Corporate sponsorship opportunities are also available for this event. Please email us or call 01482 381092 for more information.BOOK YOUR TICKETS HERE