The Deep is a charity dedicated to education and conservation and as such we feel it important to run a green and ethical organisation.
Here are just some of the ways we try to make a difference…
- We buy green energy from the grid
- Recycle paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, metal, batteries, green waste, electrical products, lamps, fluorescent tubes, catering oil and printer cartridges
- Our van is fully electric
- We use local food suppliers and organic fairtrade products where we can
- Our fish food is sustainably sourced and caught
- We use FSC certified paper in our offices and have a ‘do you need to print it?' policy
- We carry out a thermal imaging survey of our building and electrical equipment every year to ensure we are as energy efficient as possible
- We have a charging point for electric cars in our car park
- We have a reduce, reuse, recycle policy (and an if it’s broken fix it policy!)
- We use LED lighting throughout our building and car park
- We don’t run the building's heating or cooling systems unnecessarily, they are turned off at night and out of season
- All employees have a responsibility to turn off lights and computers when not in use
- Our car park ticket machines are solar powered
- We compost our green waste from around our site
- We sell eco-friendly products in our Deep-artment store
- We sell boxed water reducing the impacts of plastics on the ocean
- We installed solar panels on the roof of the Business Centre and the energy they generate is used to help power the attraction and Business Centre
- The packaging in our cafe including sandwich boxes, cups, straws and salad boxes is made from Vegware - a fully compostable material that looks like plastic but is made from plants!
What can you do?
There are lots of ways you can help to be eco-friendly, such as:
- Use energy saving light bulbs in your home
- Unplug mobile phone chargers after use
- Don’t leave electrical equipment on standby
- Conserve water - don’t leave the tap running when you brush your teeth
- Recycle your waste
- Dont buy bottled water - buy your own re-usable bottle to fill up
There are many green ideas to help you save money and make your home more eco-friendly. Look for inspiration on the internet!