We are asking all 5-18 year olds to get creative and write a story of upto a 1000 words inspired by our oceans and the animals that live in them.
It's time to get creative and let your imagination run wild, tell us what the oceans mean to you and why they matter, a tale of a shark, dolphin, turtle, whale, fish the ocean is your limit!
Shortlisted entries will be read and judged by a representaive from both partners and by guest judge, the fintastic Paul Chuckle of the Chuckle Brothers. The winning story from each age category will win a family ticket to The Deep (visit subject to Government guidelines relating to Covid-19).
- Starfish category (5-7) up to 500 words
- Seahorse category (8-11) up to 1,000 words
- Dolphin category (12-18) up to 1,000 words
We also have 2 categories for SEN writers:
- Shark (SEN 4-11) up to 500 words
- Turtle (SEN 12-18) up to 1000 words
Award Entry Requirements
- Entries must be no more than 1,000 words excluding title and author’s name and must be submitted in pdf format to email@example.com clearly marked The Deep/Mighty Pens Young Writers Award. No printed entries please.
- Entries are open from Monday 1st February 2021 until 11:59 pm on Monday 15th March 2021. Sadly entries made after this time cannot be accepted but do watch out for the next competition.
- Each entry must be the exclusive and original work of the author.
- Entries must not have been published or appeared anywhere else, including any placement in another competition.
- All entries must be written in English and be the work of an author who lives in the British Isles.
- Although Mighty Pens celebrates individual interpretation of the theme, no offensive, degrading, abusive or hurtful language, humour or inference will be tolerated. Entries that do contain such will be disqualified.
- The judges’ decision is final and no discussion will be entered into.
- The Deep and Mighty Pens retain all rights to cancel or postpone the competition at any time.
- Mighty Pens retains all rights to cancel or postpone the competition at any time and in the event of such a decision entry fees will be reimbursed.
- Formatting is at the author’s discretion though request is made that the font be legible
- Any person or persons affiliated with Mighty Pens and their partners are excluded from entry into this competition.
- Copyright remains with the author but The Deep and Mighty Pens will have automatic permission rights to use winning material for promotional or editorial purposes.
- Entries must be made by the parent or guardian on behalf of the author and must include the full name, age category and email contact of the author within the entry pdf. A written permission of entry from the parent or guardian is also required. Please note contact details are used only in connection with contacting winners of the The Deep/Mighty Pens Young Writers Award and will not be used or passed on for any other reason.
Families can be made up of children (aged 3-15 years), students (in full time education, valid NUS, University card or proof of age is required for school and sixth form students), seniors (60+) and up to a maximum of 2 adults. Ticket includes free return visits for 12 months, starting on the day of first visit. Staff reserve the right to refuse entry. Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult. Non- transferable, not for resale. Open daily 10am-6pm (last entry 5pm). The Deep is closed on 24th and 25th December. The Deep’s general T&Cs apply. For more information about The Deep please visit https://www.thedeep.co.uk/
Happy writing and good luck!